Passport/Visa Information

AAS Provides this travel information as a courtest to meeting attendees.  It is the responsibility of each attendee to ensure that she/he has the neccessary documents, including those for entry into another country or re-entry into his/her own country.  It is recommended that you check with your institution's travel department for specific guidance in these matters.


United States Visitors

U.S. citizens 18 and over are required to show a U.S. federal-or state-issued photo ID at airports.  See TSA Requirements for the most up-to-date information.


International Visitors

All international visitors to the United States are required to have a valid passport, and some visitors may need a tourist visa.  Please consult the embassy or consulate in your own country well in advance of travel to ensure that the appropriate documentation is obtained.  We encourage all attendee planning to attend the AAS Annual Conference to apply for a visa as early as possible (At least 6 months in advance is recommended) and to pay careful attention to U.S. State Department guidance in this matter.


Letter of Invitation

If a visa is required for you to visit the United States, you will also need to carry a letter of invitation.  To request a letter of invitation, please contact the AAS Office or click CLICK HERE to request a letter of invitation.

Letters of invitation will sent the the following individuals only:

  • Individuals accepted to present on a formal panel session, and/or;
  • Individuals registered to attend the 2018 Annual Conference.

We will not provide a letter of invitation unless you meet one of the criteria listed above.