In 2019, the Association for Asian Studies inaugurated its first annual photo competition. The competition aims to spotlight the work of the membership; from scholarship to education, outreach to field projects. The best way to highlight the contributions of our members is through the lens of specialists who contribute to our field.
Winning photos from the submissions will be:
- Featured in a 2020 Calendar as a thank you gift for donors
- Published in an online gallery for the membership to view
- Featured on our website
Send us vibrant, raw photographs of your research, travels, work in the classroom, work in non-profits; anything which encapsulates your work as an Asia specialist.
1 Select your photographs for submission.
Participants are welcome to submit up to two images.
The image(s) must be:
- High Resolution (min. 300 DPI resolution)
- No smaller than 1MB but no larger than 10MB
- Related to the study of Asia
- Preferably horizontal (rectangle shaped)
- Vertical images will be accepted but may be altered and cropped to fit our print requirements if they are selected to appear in the calendar
- The submitter must have sole rights to the photograph or hold the authorization to release and submit the image(s) on behalf of a third party photographer
- If a submission includes an image of a person or people, submitters must guarantee that consent has been given. If you are unsure of the laws regarding consent and photography, please consult the following link.
2 Submit the AAS Photo Competition Form by July 20th.
Images that are submitted after July 20th will not be considered. Both images must be submitted as two image files on ONE FORM. Once you submit a form, you will not be able to submit another.
3 Submission under review.
A total of SEVEN photos will be selected for our annual calendar. Staff at the Association for Asian Studies will select one image for each two-month page, along with the overall winner’s photograph for the cover. As a congratulatory gesture, the winners will receive two printed copies of the calendar, as well as recognition on our website. We will also recognize honorable mention photographs on our website, and photos may be used in future digital and print media. Winners will be announced in November.
The winners will receive a congratulatory email from the AAS Secretariat with a link to the online image directory of winning photographs. Public announcements will be made shortly thereafter.
Terms & Conditions:
The participant submitting the image(s) must be the copyright holder of the image.
We appreciate your contribution to our mission and request for a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to the image(s) received. Any use of your image will be properly credited (@NAME OF PHOTOGRAPHER/AAS). Images received may be posted on our website, social media sites, and communication media (emails, videos, postcards, brochures and posters). Additional compensation will not be provided. We request the right to resize any submitted photograph to fit the size requirement of the digital and print media, if necessary.
We are under no obligation to publish your submission.
We reserve the right to refuse or exclude any entry at our discretion.
It is our promise that your images will not be used for commercial purposes nor will we sell the images to a third party. Your images will only be used in conjunction with of the mission ofthe Association for Asian Studies.
Please email Jenna Yoshikawa at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the AAS Photo Competition.