The AAS China and Inner Asia Council will offer two $1,000 Joseph Levenson Prizes for nonfiction scholarly books on China published in 2018.
The Merlin Foundation, established by the late Audrey Sheldon, has provided for the two awards, one for works whose main focus is on China before 1900 and the other for works on post-1900 China. The prizes will be awarded to the English-language books that make the greatest contribution to increasing understanding of the history, culture, society, politics, or economy of China. Works in all disciplines and in all periods of Chinese history are eligible, but anthologies, edited works, and pamphlets will not be considered. In keeping with the broad scholarly interests of Joseph Levenson, special consideration will be given to books that, through comparative insights or groundbreaking research, promote the relevance of scholarship on China to the wider world of intellectual discourse. To be eligible, books must have a 2018 copyright date. A copy of each entry, clearly labeled “Joseph Levenson Prize” must be sent to each member of the appropriate committee by JUNE 30, 2019. Either presses or individuals may submit books, and it is suggested that authors consult with their presses concerning submission. The prizes will be presented at the AAS annual conference next year. Eligible authors should be aware that since many publishers do not automatically submit nominations, authors must assume responsibility for having their books be placed in nomination and sent to members of the prize committee.
- Amy McNair (Chair), 1301 Mississippi Street, Room 209, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045
- Yuming He, 2104 Jefferson Ave, Berkeley, CA 94703
- Roberta Wue, Department of Art History, 2000 Humanities Gateway, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-2785
- Gerda Wielander (Chair), University of Westminster, 309 Regent Street, London W1B 3UW, UK
- Madeleine Yue Dong, Jackson School of International Studies, Box 353560, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195-3560
- Fabio Lanza, 1734 Abington Place, Lansing, MI 48910