ALL FUNDS FOR THIS PROGRAM HAVE CURRENTLY BEEN EXPENDED.
MORE INFORMATION WILL BE POSTED HERE IF FURTHER FUNDING BECOMES AVAILABLE.
The Translation Project Group of the Southeast Asia Council of the Association for Asian Studies intends to award honoraria to support the translation of key texts in the social sciences and humanities from a Southeast Asian language into English. Texts, which may be of any length, will be evaluated according to their importance within a disciplinary study of Southeast Asia, or for their decisive impact on the region and the study of it.
Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Importance of the text to scholarship about the region;
- Importance of genre and how represented it is already in translation;
- Qualifications of the translator;
- Probability of successful completion;
- Likelihood of publication;
- Probability of classroom use.
Awards will vary from $750 to $2,000, depending on the length of proposed text. Awards will be made in two installments: the first at the time of award, the second on completion of the work and satisfactory reporting of progress made towards publication.
Letters of application should be accompanied by:
For further details please contact Judith Henchy: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A two page prospectus describing the text to be translated. This description should outline the importance of the original text as a literary or social artifact within the context of its production, and its value in translation to the field of Southeast Asian Studies. Applications should specifically address ways in which the proposed translation meets the criteria 1 to 6 noted above, including publication plans and projected probable classroom use.
- Curriculum vitae of the proposed translator/s.
- A sample translation of approximately 1,000 words, either from the proposed text, or from the translator’s previous work from the same source language. Please also supply a scanned copy of the original text from which the sample translation is derived.
- An indication of publishing options being considered, including details of any discussions with publishers.
- A brief provisional budget. Allowable costs include: personal honoraria for translation hours, direct costs for research travel, editorial costs, copying or publishing subvention costs.
Judith Henchy, Chair Translation Project Group
Southeast Asia Section, Box 352900
University of Washington Libraries, Seattle, WA 98195-2900, USA