The AAS administers a program for AAS-member authors who require subventions to ensure publication of their first books. The AAS will award up to $15,000 in subventions each year with individual awards in the range of $1,000 to $3,000. Funded through the AAS Development Fund, these subventions will be awarded on a competitive basis to first-time book authors who have already secured provisional contracts from established academic presses. Subventions will be paid directly to the press.
1. The applicant must be a current AAS member and have held AAS membership for AT LEAST TWO YEARS prior to application (exception; if you were previously an AAS member for at least two years and your membership has lapsed within the last twelve months and you rejoin, you will still be eligible).
2. The book in question must be the applicant's first individually-authored book (an applicant who was the editor of a previously published edited volume is eligible to apply).
3. The applicant must have a completed manuscript with a provisional contract from an established academic press stipulating the need for an outside subvention in order to ensure publication.
4. The manuscript must be in English, must make a substantial contribution to the field of Asian Studies, and must be based on primary research in the appropriate languages.
5. The applicant must have sought subventions from alternative sources.
6. The press must agree to acknowledge an AAS subvention in the front matter of the published book.
7. The press must agree to provide a written report within two months of publication of the book. This report should contain a narrative account of what was accomplished with the subvention funds along with a line-by-line financial report. This report should be sent by e-mail to AAS Publications Manager, Jon Wilson, email@example.com or by regular mail to Jon Wilson, Publications Manager, Association for Asian Studies, 825 Victors Way, Suite 310, Ann Arbor, MI 48108 USA.
Applications should consist of the following items and be submitted electronically to AAS Publications Manager, Jon Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. A completed AAS First Book Subvention application form.This application form must be completed by the Press/Publisher representative and NOT the Author. This application form replaces the former requirement for a separate letter from the publisher. NOTE: There are two annual deadlines, MARCH 1 and SEPTEMBER 1.
2. The applicant's Curriculum Vitae.
2. A summary of the manuscript in no more than 1,000 words.
3. A full Table of Contents.
4. One representative chapter of the manuscript, complete with citations.
Applications will be reviewed by the AAS Editorial Board after each semi-annual deadline (March 1 and September 1). Decisions will be final.